Tuesday 5 March 2013

How to: Make Makeup Last (for Long Days)

How to: Make Makeup Last (for Long Days)
Jean Paul Gautier SS 2013
I am sorry I haven't blogged for awhile, life has gotten very busy. I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off. The beauty people (the lucky shomos they are) complain about being so busy during fashion week but what about the rest of us that have to make it through real life long days where we want to be fabulous? I had makeup on my face for over 15 hours everyday this weekend. It has to stay put. Obviously no makeup can stay perfect that long (we don't expect miracles) but hopefully we still look pretty descent. So these are my tips for making it last.



Moisturise

Start with a clean face, and apply a preferably oil free moisturiser (with SPF!) to your face. It keeps the face from absorbing the foundation, causing it to disappear. It also keeps your skin happy when you are having to power through a long day. As I mentioned in my ingredients post, look for one that contains hyaluronic acid which helps your face stay hydrated longer. I have been using the Intense version of the Hydraphase UV from La Roche Posay for winter.

Prime

Use both a face primer and eye primer (see my post!). They help secure the makeup to your face and also help to keep it smooth. They help to perfect the skin so you don't have to wear so much foundation and conceal pores. They usually come with other lasting benefits as well like mattifying or hydrating. I have just started trying this one from Estee Lauder that is mattifying and also extra hydrating with hyaluronic acid. win win.

Estee Lauder Matte Perfecting Primer

Choose Long Wearing or Waterproof

Both for foundation and eye makeup.
For foundation, it sets better and stays, often because they are somewhat oil absorbing. Try and use as little has you can get away with; it seems counter intuitive, but it sets better and there is less to fall off so you are less likely to end up with patches. Also apply it with a brush so it doesn't mix with the oil on your hands and so you don't wreck your layers of primer and moisturiser. See my How to: Apply Foundation post. Good longwear choices include the Lancome Teint Idole 24h or anything Estee Lauder Double Wear.

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup
I don't know why the bottle is empty but normally it contains skin coloured goodness

For eyes, obviously for liner and mascara waterproof or longwearing is a must. See the Urban Decay 24hr liners I have raved about.

Choose Powder

Oil breaks down makeup. So oil based makeup is not a good choice when you are trying to last a long day. Powder blush, bronzer, highlighter, and shadows are a must. Set your foundation with a bit of powder for staying power. I normally use a mineral based one to keep a bit of my glow but in the summer when I find my makeup is sliding, I often use one with some extra oil absorption  There is this one from the Balm that is also mineral based and talc free but has cornstarch that absorbs oil like nobody's business:

theBalm Sexy Mama Anti-Shine Translucent Powder
Doesn't the cute packaging just make it?

Use a Setting Spray

This stuff locks everything down and give a great finish to the skin. This Clarins one that I have mentioned before (in my How to: Dewy Makeup (Even in the Dead of Winter)) you can re-apply throughout the day to refresh you skin and makeup as well.


Avoid Glitter

Anything glittery will drift, no matter how you  set it. Use formulas that are matte or have a slight shimmer to them so they stay where you put them.

Clarins Fix' Make-Up
Clarins Fix' Make Up

For Lips

I am not a fan of the 2-step lipsticks or traditional lip stains because I find them to be drying and they seem to wear off unevenly. I usually use a longwearing lipstick (applied like in my How to: Apply Lipstick like a Hollywood Maven) of some kind. I have also been using the Revlon Balm + Stain that has recently come out. Its pretty awesome because it is both hydrating and staining and it doesn't the the wear off like the separate stain does. Its also twists up so your don't have to sharpen it; easy to have in the purse.

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm + Stain

Make it Lived-In to Begin With

Pick looks that are worn in a bit to begin with so that when it does fall off a bit, it doesn't look like it. It looks like you meant to do it that way. This is the time to crack out your smokier makeup and your smudgy eye liner, not the time for a super precise cat eye. Plus lived in is in for spring!

Remove it All Before Bed at Night (or in the Morning)

Because it is all longwearing, it is not just going to simply wash off with water. Remember to wash your face before you (finally!) make it to bed. Or at least take a cleansing wipe to it at bare minimum.

So how long does your makeup have to last?
Or do you do lots of touch ups?
What are your favourite long wearing products?

 PLEASE “LIKE” FANTASTIC CATS BEAUTY ON FACEBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment