Monday 2 June 2014

Looks I am Loving: Marie Antoinette

Kirsten Dunst in Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette
Kirsten Dunst in Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette
So for awhile now, probably since I went back to a more natural blonde/"brond" colour of hair, I have been digging a somewhat more minimalist look. I don't find I need as much makeup, or as much eye makeup anyways than I did when I was super blond there for a bit. Also I have been really trying to go easier on my hair to grow it out so I have been working my my natural curl and using a lot of no-heat curl methods like the Japanese (Asian? does anyone know, seriously) foam rollers that I mentioned in my hair post. So I have been crushing on some historical-ish hair looks to pin my curly hair fantastically around my head, and basically I fantasize about something that looks like Marie Antoinette would have worn at Hameau de la Reine, her model farm (look it up, its awesome) or if she would have lived in 1975. Still completely glam, but in a casual way, if that's possible.
File:Marie Antoinette in Muslin dress.jpg
Inappropriate Casual Portrait of her ladyship
I have decided I am not going to fake n' bake this summer, and the whole idea of mimicking frolicking through the fields appeals to me. Probably because I am living in New York now, and live nowhere near a field. But the idea is healthy glam? whateves. Then I saw this.

Dior Trianon Spring 2014 Collection
Dior's marketing people are pretty brilliant.
I know this collection for Dior for spring had long since past, since it came out in like January, but I think it is such a gorgeous image, I can't get over it. Perfect spring/summer makeup for the pale people in the crowd. And the flowers give such a great idea for a colour palette I can't even. Also this...

ymre stiekema by giampaolo sgura for vogue japan october 2012
Vogue Japan October 2012
So another old (relatively) image, but still amazing. It was actually shot in the hall of mirrors. The eye candy for this is endless, and obviously it keeps coming around again and again. She was such a style icon for her time, and so why imitate styles for the 80's when you can imitate styles of the 1780's? Exactly. I naturally have the 18th century ideal of pale skin, plump cheeks and a high forehead. Also women who were pleasantly plump. Why not roll with it? Definitely born in the wrong time.

File:Marie Antoinette 1767.jpg
Marie Anoinette at 13 years old
Marie Antoinette
Another shot of Kirsten Dunst in Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette
So I am using these last two as my main inspiration. Marie Antoinette as imagined by Sophia Coppola is obviously modernized and over the top, but such eye candy. So after all the beautiful photos here we go! obviously I don't know what they used in either image, so this is my interpretation.

Base!

So obviously, they weren't working with full liquid foundation and such, and I don't really feel like putting lead on my face, so I went with a BB cream. Plus we are going for the frolicking-through-the-fields era Marie, so it feels appropriate. Plus a high SPF keeps my porcelain complexion intact. I will write soon about my Asian beauty products haul (if you are interested, let me know in the comments) and about the new to me BB cream I have been using. It has the smell of roses (spoiler!) so it seems extremely appropriate.

Blanc and Rouge

Super important to the fashion of the time, blanc and rouge were items both men and women of high society applied at this time. Blanc was a thick shiny white paste made of lead, and rouge, a cream made of cinnabar and mercury, all of which is obviously bad, and super, super toxic (maybe not the cinnabar? I don't know). It was meant to look fairly obvious. I want to tone it down, but keep the feel porcelain skin with bright cheeks. I have mentioned it in many of these look posts, but again I am using the Shiseido Luminizing Satin Face Color. I feel like Asian, especially Japanese products seem to work well for historical stuff even though they are super modern with all the latest ingredients, they have a more classic outlook on beauty. Just my opinion. 
Anyway, I use these powders so much because they blend fantastically and they have a natural skin sheen, not like a disco-ball sparkle. And the High Beam White is one of my favourite highlighters ever, I am surprised it didn't make my last favourite list. I added a very liberal does of this, this time on all the high planes of my face. Also I am using this red called Orchid for rouge. You can use something else, but something darker with a high pigment content works the best for something like this.
Luminizing Satin Face Color | Shiseido.com
WT905- High Beam White


Luminizing Satin Face Color | Shiseido.com
RD401- Orchid

Lips!

So they did have a lipstick like product at this time, which explains the red lips past the painter was being nice and acting like an early version of Photoshop. Pink and Coral were favoured. I decided to do a lip stain, more like the Sophia Coppola look; more matte. You can also use a blotted down lipstick, but I felt that the hyped natural of a lipstain looked better. I used a discontinued Covergirl Outlast Lipstain in Coral which I love, but you could also use a pink if you want. The Revlon Just Bitten Lipstains also work really well for this. I concentrated it on the center of the lips and feathered it out to the edges with a finger wrapped in tissue (to not stain my finger). This is similar to the first portrait of Marie on here, and is something I have seen a lot of lately like a really subtle ombre. 

Outlast Lipstain
Covergirl Outlast Lipstain

Brows!

So it turns out some people did slightly darken their brows. It was suppose to enhance the paleness of the skin. They were meant to be a natural, rounded shape (natural! really?). Anyway, shaping, thickening, darkening. I used Benefit's Gimme Brow, something I am sure you have heard about on a million other blogs. Initially I got it because Annie on xovain uses it and I worshiped her before she left :( and I was also using a Lancome brow mascara type thing with mixed results. I didn't like it initially when I first got it because it was too much product for my fine-haired eyebrows even on the little brush. Maybe my hair was too light in comparison. Recently, I have dug it back out and find it actually works really dandy if i wipe the excess back into the tube a bit. It took me way too long to come to that revelation. Anyway, it is perfect for this look. It does not create super defined brows, but it give shapely volume. 

gimme brow
Benefit Gimme Brow
I usually use the Light/Medium

Eyes!

So usually nothing was worn on the eyes but I feel like I need at least a bit of definition. I used a Clarins pencil in Bronze which is a very natural brown with a slight sheen, slightly smudged into the lash line. Not sure if it is still available or not. I think something like it is at the very least. You can leave it, but I usually apply a little mascara; it is 2014 after all. Optionally, you could do some Dior-inspired pastels and get totally crazy but in the spirit. That is also wonderful; it is my current summer time night-out look. This pencil is also great for making a beauty mark or two if you really want to go all out. Add a liberal dosing of dry shampoo and you are good to go.

Clarins Kohl Eye Pencil - Bronze
Clarins Kohl Eye Pencil - Bronze
   
Somewhat of a long post, but fun I think. I like being inspired by eye candy. 
So....
Do you like historical makeup?
What "inspired by" looks do you wear?
Is anyone interested in an Asian Beauty Haul blog or beauty haul blogs in general?
Is everyone over lipstains? I feel like we are....




No comments:

Post a Comment