Thursday 7 February 2013

Why Mask-ing is awesome

How-To-Make-a-Kiwi-Face-Mask-5.jpg (400×300)
Doing the Mask

Today is going to be a quicky since I feel kind of yucky because of my epic trial of hot yoga (never again) and both my face and body are dehydrated. Because of this I am going to sit on my computer in my hydration mask and tell you about facial masks!
The Emperor's New Groove Yzma

Most memorable masking ever to grace the screen- Yzma from the Emperor's New Groove
We mask to not look like this

Masks are amazing. They really are that pick me up for the face, if you did something terrible to it (hot yoga) or just for regular glow maintenance. It brings the face back into balance.

So when you are about you mask, it’s a good idea to remove your makeup, wash and exfoliate your face, and maybe even steam (I usually just sit in a warm bath for a bit pre-mask or you can use a facial steam bath). You want it to be as clean and free of junk as possible so the mask can work as well as it can. This goes for all types of masks.

Because masks are a once and awhile, once a week thing, you can easily vary what you use depending on your face. In the winter obviously it is usually dryness we are complaining about (in Canada) and in the summer we are sweating bullets and our skin gets all clogged with dirt sweat and sunscreen. Some of us, like me are trying to combat acne even through the winter, so a mild purifying mask can keep that in check. You can also you two masks in a row- OMG it’s a revelation. I can’t remember where I heard this but it’s so obviously such a good idea I don’t understand why everyone doesn't do it. Use your stronger, clay purifying mask which can be quite drying to suck up all the dirt and impurities, and clean out the pores and then instead of slapping on a strong moisturiser to compensate, follow it up with a replenishing moisture mask. Gone are the blackheads plus you look all dewy and fantastic. Best tip ever, seriously try it.

Purifying Masks
So this category is somewhat tricky for me because even though I am trying to combat acne, I have super sensitive skin that is made angrier by dry weather so I don’t want to use anything super harsh. Even with the double masking I can’t go too crazy. I love this NUXE one in the winter time, it gets rid of the junk but it also is replenishing with natural oils and it smells like roses (they also have a fab hydration mask in the rose line):

NUXE Clarifying Cream-Mask with Rose Petals
NUXE Clarifying Cream Mask with Rose Petals

I have been trying to go more natural with my products as you can probably tell, NUXE is a natural based line and this next recommend from Dr. Hauschka is all natural and something like 97% organic. I have only tried this a couple of times so far from a sampler I got from them but it is amazing. Basically removed most of my blackheads in the first go, which for me is a big deal because nothing ever does that. It is a bit drying though; I think it will probably be my go to more for the summer. It is also kind of weird because you have to mix it yourself with a bit of water and toner. It is good though in one way because you can somewhat customize it if you want it super mild (no toner) or fairly intensive (with a salicylic acid added one):

Cleansing Clay Mask, 3.06 oz Face Care Dr.Hauschka Skin Care
Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Clay Mask

Moisture Masks
Crazy good in the wintertime for fixing those scaly patches or for post-tropical trip sunburns; moisture masks are an intensive treatment for (duh) moisture. They come in a bunch of different forms, some you just spread on the face from a tube, others are cloth masks. If you are ultra-dry you can wear most moisture masks all night, as a super intense night cream. I wouldn't use most of the ones out of the tube if you are having acne problems; they usually are thick layers of oil and that’s asking for a break out. There are some oil free ones in the tube but they are pretty full of chemicals and I haven't been able to find any on the milder side so it’s up to you.
I personally prefer the cloth ones, just because I do have acne problems but also balance issues. They are usually low in the oil part and high in hydration. They are also great because you can customize them into their own unique treatment by layering the serum of your choice underneath. Shiseido has just launched a new one under their white lucent line which is very nice (it will be coming out here in the spring, I just got to try one) but I usually just use the one from Neostrata which I mentioned before in my ingredients post. It is one of my favourite products (which is discontinued! What am I going to do? Suggestions?). 

this mask contains 0.15% of pure hyaluronic acid
NeoStrata Intense Moisture Rescue Sheet Mask

Any serum left on the face afterwards, just blend in, don’t wipe away all that goodness! And then apply moisturiser as normal, wake up in the morning and look fantastic.

Do you mask?
Moisture or Purifying?
Someone please leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. Hello from Indianapolis, In (USA)! I came across your blog thru Pinterest (a "bright eyed & bushy tailed" post I think). I enjoy your humor, insight, tips & product recommendations. Keep it up girl! I'll be watching(ok, reading) you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate you being my first ever commenter! It is so nice to know that I am not just preaching to an internet void. Thanks to everyone south of the border in the USA in fact because all of you are my biggest group of readers right now! Please if you have any burning questions, or any topics you would be interested to have me write about let me know and I will do my best to tackle them.

      Delete