Wednesday 30 January 2013

All About Eye Primer: the Eye Makeup Saviour

Dior's sparkling spring/summer 2013 eyes
Dior Spring/Summer 2013- Totally everyday makeup right? 
So yesterday’s eye post has gone pretty viral so today I thought I would continue on the topic a bit and write a quick blog about eye primers. I saw some of the spring/summer looks on beauty editor and most of them seem to involve copious amounts of eye makeup. Eye primer keeps complex eye looks lasting for more than ten seconds. I foresee that if you are going to be rocking eye makeup into the spring and the summer, you are going to need to use an eye primer.

I have pretty much given up wearing eye makeup without primer, that’s how much these actually help. And for me to add an extra product, let alone two into my already extensive beauty routine, it has to be good. Not only do eye primers prolong wear, but they make the colours, any colour, go on more vibrant, and most importantly stay relatively crease-less. With all the new types and formulas that have come out, there is really one to do everything; some double as highlighters, under-eye brighteners, you name it. Try it and thank me later.

Eyeshadow Primer Potion by Urban Decay (Official Site)
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion- from top: Original, Sin, Eden, and Greed
Urban Decay is hands down my favourite eye primer and the favourite of everyone in my department. I was using the MAC paints, but it doesn't work nearly as well as this. And Urban Decay gives you lots of options! I am going to use the Urban Decay as my example, but equate the different uses to other primers on the market as well and which might be the best for you.

Shimmer Eye Primers (UD Potion in Greed and Sin) (+ MAC paints)

Shimmer primers are my favourite because they do double duty. They can act like a highlighter by bringing them all the way to the brow and then just topping the eye lid with a simple medium shadow- Voila! Eye Makeup. It cuts down on the amount of products if you are like “really, another product?” wouldn't you normally put on two shadows anyway? This way you get long wear, it’s easy and it’s fancy lookin’. In UD, Greed is a gold shimmer (my favourite!) for warmer skin tones, and Sin is a pinky-champagne for cooler skin tones.


Matte Eye Primers (UD Potion in Eden) (Elizabeth Arden Eye Fix Primer)


Matte primers are obviously great for more matte looks. They do brighten up the eye area because they are usually a light creamy skin tone colour and cover discolouration on the eye lid such as veins. Most primers are of this variety. Great for more natural looks, helps to look polished.


Clear Eye Primers (UD Potion in Original) (Lise Watier Lip and Eye Base)

UD’s doesn't look clear when you squirt it out it looks like skin tone, but trust me it is clear on the skin. Can’t decide? Clear primers are compatible with everyone and still make colours more vibrant. They really can be used with any eye makeup on any skin tone. They can also do double duty because you could bring it right around the eye to keep any under-eye concealer on as well or…


Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer
Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer
I have actually taken to using two eye primers. The Smashbox rep got to me. It is designed like an eye treatment with a primer so it is very hydrating (shea butter and hyluronic acid!) and soothing for the dry eczema prone skin around my eyes. Supposedly it bonds itself to your concealer so it doesn't move and doesn't sink into lines. It also has a light reflector in it. All I know is that my concealer goes on a lot smoother and doesn't crease up underneath my eyes.

So what crazy extra steps do you do in the morning?

What’s your favourite eye primer?






No comments:

Post a Comment